domingo, 27 de diciembre de 2009

'Twas the Sunday After Christmas..., Brent Clanton





'Twas the Sunday After Christmas...
‘Twas the Sunday after Christmas, and all though the house,
Not much was happening with me and my spouse.
The stockings were removed from the chimney with care,
Because St. Nicholas had already been there.

The puppy was snuggled between blankets and legs,
While visions of doggy treats danced in her head;
And mama on the couch with her legs in my lap
Was snoring thru our traditional Sunday afternoon nap.

I turned on the telly with my new Logitech remote,
To see how much damage the Houston Texans had besmote.
Away to Miami they’d made in a dash
With two games in the season, a play-off berth to catch.

The score on the screen, in double-digits aglow,
Gave an unfamiliar luster to fans in the know.
When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a 17-0 lead for the Texans for the umpteenth time this year.

With a finely-coiffed man on the sidelines the cameras would track--
I knew in a moment it must be Coach Kubiak.
More rapid than Dolphins, the Texans they came,
As Kubiack whistled and called them by name:

On Johnson, On Dreesen, on Hill, Moats and Brown—
Come, Davis, Okoye, don’t let Matt Schaub down.
From the top of the goal posts to the Dolphins’ end zone wall,
Now score away, score away, score away all!

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
The Dolphins were pummeled by Kubiak’s guys;
The two-minute warning signal was passed,
And I wondered if our lead in the second half would but last.

No hay comentarios: